Friday, May 9, 2008

Snip Snip

Yesterday began like any other day. The kids woke up, I fed them breakfast, then they decided to go upstairs to play. Great! I cleaned up the kitchen, checked e-mail, then eventually started getting everyone ready. Julia and Liliana had gotten themselves dressed. Wonderful! I asked them to come in to the bathroom so I could do their hair. I did Lili's first, then when I began brushing Julia's I noticed something was different...

me: "Julia? Did you cut your hair?" (a little frantic)
Julia: "Yes."
me: "Why did you do that?" (not super calm at this moment)
Julia: "I don't know, I just cut a little. Are you mad at me?"
(I'm talking myself down)

me (much calmer): "I'm not mad, I'm just feeling a little disappointed in your choice. That wasn't a good choice. When did you do it?"
Julia: "Today."
me: "Where? Did you just let the hair fall on the floor?"
Julia: "In my room. No, I put it in the garbage." (she seemed proud of that - I admit, I was too)
me (in a very matter-of-fact way): "Please don't do that again. I think you can see the consequence. You want long hair, but now this piece is short. We don't cut our own hair, understand? Liliana, (she was standing by watching) we don't cut our own hair, okay?"
Both girls: "Okay Mommy."
Julia: "I think you can disguise it Mom."

I think she knows not to do that again.

I thought we learned that lesson years ago when she cut Liliana's. I guess we were due for a refresher. Here are the pictures, "for old time's sake."
{I usually did her hair in what we call a "whale spout." And I included a picture of it down, just so you can see how much Julia cut off in the two bottom pictures. It was cut to the scalp in one spot. Yes, I did cry. It was her "1st haircut."}

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Man, girls and sissors! Shelby is m Hair dresser and she has cut her hair twice. The first time she cut a Huge 3 inch chunk off the bottom (It was bad her hair was super long so I chopped it to the middle of her shoulders). THen the second time she cut herself one strip of bangs. It is still in the process of growing back out.

I don't blame you for crying...I would have too.

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

way to use your "I Statements". . .hopefully the hair tragedies will be just with your girls. . .although, both of the sets of pictures, I don't even notice the hair because I am distracted by their faces! Seriously, can we set up some appointments and get them in catalogs?

Melanie said...

oh girlfriend i feel your pain! i don't know why but this is like a horrible rite of passage or something! i love how you have captured both mishaps on film. time heals all wounds, later, this will get funnier!

Britt Wright said...

Isn't it great that your girls have so much trust in you thinking you can "fix" anything. Girls and scissors! You never can tell what will happen next!

Emily S. said...

ACK! Oh the rites and rituals of childhood... What a story to tell someday. And good for you for documenting it in pictures!

Kristin said...

I'm sure in person it is more dramatic, but in photos it really is hard to tell! I could really see how distressed Julia was in the photos! She is still so beautiful!

Nathan said...

I don't blame Julia for being distressed - everytime something happens, mom whips out the camera! I feel your pain, J-child, I really do.

ali said...

Oh, hair cutting stories. I get teary just thinking about them. Yes, I remember when I told Nate if he shaved his head his hair would grow back. I didn't mean to lie...