Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Three days left!

I can hardly believe it! There are only three days left until the triathlon! I'm excited to do it. The nerves are there, sure, but I really am looking forward to it. I feel ready. I guess I will see how ready on Saturday. I think once you do your first one, then you know better where you should have spent more time training.

I plan to do more after this one. I've talked to a lot of people who say you get addicted to doing tri's. I think I already am. I'm addicted to the necessity to train and work out. I'm addicted to the "me time" it affords me. I'm addicted to training for something again (like the old college days in swimming). It just seems to work for me. I have a competitive nature, hopefully not overly so, but a healthy one certainly. So, I definitely look forward to the competition. Right now, for this triathlon, that competition is with myself. I have goals/times in mind that I hope I will attain. I don't think they are unrealistic. For example, I want to not have to walk during the run. :) I think there is a delicate balance of how to push yourself. If you push way too hard on the swim, you might start a bit winded on the bike & really lose it in the run. It is called a "sprint" triathlon, yes, but think about it...I'm still looking at about an hour and a half, at least, straight of really pushing myself. Do I think I can do it? Yes. I just want to make sure I come out of it knowing I did my best and had fun. Of course, I don't want to be thinking, "Oh, I probably could have pushed a bit harder," or "I shouldn't have pushed quite so hard in the bike (or swim)." See, a delicate balance. Anyway, there you have it...my thoughts on my upcoming endeavor. I am totally excited!

Any last-minute advice from those of you who have already done a triathlon?

13 comments:

Johnson Family said...

Good luck Lauren! We know you'll be awesome and wow us all. We'll be thinking of you!!

Sadie said...

Wow! That really did come up fast. I feel bad that I did not realize it I would have ordered you and Nate some fun stuff! Do you remember my friend Donielle? She was on the U swim team and then moved to Hawaii? Anyhow-- she started doing triathlons and so her boyfriend, Eli, started a company to support her. It is www.idotriathletes.com the shirts are pretty funny-- I do triathletes not triathlons! hee hee! Anyhow check it out. I would order one for Nate-- although I don't know how he would feel about wearing it! but I am afraid 3 days is too soo! Good luck Lauren. I will be thinking of you and sending you all of my extra energy (don't expect too much! ha ha!) on Saturday! Love you. Sadie

Morgan and Joel said...

Good Luck Lo!

Britt Wright said...

Have Fun Lo! I'm proud of you and know you'll meet your goals!

Nathan said...

You've done a great job training and you'll do great on Sat. You rockin' girl!

Xela said...

You will do great! I will be there cheering for ya!

Emi Edgley said...

I am so proud of you! We've been talking about doing one of these for 4.5 years now, and I'm still talkin' while you are going to be ROCKIN' the competition.

And believe me, I know you well enough to know that you are going to treat all participants as the "competition."

I can't wait to read about your experiences in the days ahead.

GO LO!

Amy Pennington said...

good luck Lauren....I admire the fact you do triatholons. I only run when I am being chasted:) I am so not athletic I just like to dance! have fun!

Lauren said...

Thank you everyone for all your support! I appreciate your encouraging words! It helps to know you'll be cheering me on (whether it's there, or across the miles). :)

Love to you all!

amanda said...

Go Lauren!!!
I am so impressed with you! I can't wait to hear how it went and see pictures.

Nicole said...

Brady and I wish you the best of luck!

Emi Edgley said...

I am so curious to know the details of your race! Hope your recovery has been one of breakfast in bed, foot and leg massages, and much pampering.

Nathan said...

EMI - QUIT WITH THE SUGGESTIONS!

Lo- How about an update, eh? Your supporters need to have their curiosity fed!