We couldn't let Simon's birthday pass without a celebration!
Nate and I worked together to make him a cake, complete with a "1" candle.
Nate and I worked together to make him a cake, complete with a "1" candle.

We called our neighbors and friends to stop by and help us sing to Simon, watch him with his cake, and have some dessert with us. The kids even played "ring around the rosy" with Simon. He loved it!

The birthday cake is a big deal in our family. Our kids don't get any type of sugar before their first birthday. The cake is the "first taste" of sweets for them. Of course, we were all excited to see what he'd do with his cake. Especially the kids. They couldn't keep their own hands out of the cake! :)
He actually wasn't all that interested in it! He put his finger in it and tasted it, but after a couple times, he was done. The kids tried..."forcing" is a strong word, I'll say... "encouraging" him to take a bite. He just really didn't want it. Oh well, I guess that's a good thing. He liked the ice cream a little better though.
Afterward, I got him right out of his highchair, and put him in the shower.
{I think a lot of the cake "mutilation" was done by our other kids}After getting all cleaned up, he was up for playing with his new toys. The girls each got to pick out something for him. Well, it turned out they each got him two things. Simon recently got some money from his great grandparents. Which was so nice of them! And, Liliana was very concerned that Simon didn't have his own piggy bank to put it in. That's what she really wanted to get him. We actually ended up finding a bear bank instead. She also got him a couple of cars, which he loves. Julia got him a frog (bean bag type) and his very own remote control. Aunt KK got him blocks. We all had fun picking out his gifts. And he had a lot of fun playing with them! He got some great gifts from our friends and neighbors too!

It was a great day! I still can't believe my baby is one!
That reminds me. He had his one-year Doctor's appointment, so I can update you on all his "stats."
Height: 32" - 95th%
Weight: 25 lbs 14 oz - 90th%
He has all his teeth too! And, a very, how should I say this..."Nate-sized" noggin. It's in the 97th%, so at least he's proportionate! :)
The doctor thought he was doing fantastic! He's walking, talking (a little), and thriving, for sure! We're so proud of him!
3 comments:
I can't believe Simon is 1! He is a tall and handsome guy. It just seems weird he is 25 lbs...Ethan just hit his 30lb mark. Love ya.
i love his HAIR! Look at those curls in the back!
And the cake shots are fun... It's pretty funny that he didn't go for it more. He'll catch up to us cake-eaters someday.
That little boy is delicious! I was also noticing what a beautiful mother he has...and a handsome father. No wonder he's a chick magnet at the age of one! I can't believe he didn't go to town on the sugar...
Post a Comment