Like the first day of first grade!
Julia is in first grade this year! Which means all-day school. Which means Mom had a good cry before it all started. I told Nate it was because I felt like it was "the beginning of the end." Kids grow so quickly and sometimes I feel like I can see it slipping away before my eyes. But, it's also a part of growing up, and I'm so glad to be a part of that special time in my children's lives.
Now, on to the excitement!
Julia picked out the cutest backpack and lunchbox. You know, those "Mr. Man & Little Miss" books? Well, "Little Miss Sunshine" was just asking to be Julia's backpack (and lunchbox) for the year. She knew that's what she wanted the moment she saw it! Who can resist that?
Speaking of lunchboxes, back in the day, I used to love little messages from my Mom, tucked inside. The tradition continues...
Her teacher has a ship with pictures of all the kids above their names (well, not quite done on the first day, but it is now) outside her classroom, welcoming the students.
Julia found her cubby, hung her backpack on the hook underneath, and then sat at her table. They made their own name tags, complete with beads.
Julia with her teacher, Mrs. Alamilla.Can you spot Julia?
Today starts the third week of school, and Julia is really enjoying it!
Tidbits:
*Each table has an animal name (bears, frogs, butterflies, etc.). She is an Eagle.
*She was a little disappointed that she didn't get to go to the library on the first day. She didn't think her teacher knew about the library (we told her it was just because it was the first day, not to worry, she'd get to go).
*She has three kids in her class who were in her class last year and two from preschool!
*She loves her teacher!
*We are in a carpool now and I'm LOVIN' it! (my friend drops off every morning and I pick up every afternoon...it's great!)
A bit MORE about the first day...
She was all smiles when I picked her up after school!
We went straight to "Sweet & Sassy" for her haircut (it was too booked to get it done before school started - um, yes, I waited too long to make the appointment).
Doesn't she look fab?

Picking out lollipops afterward.

Then, we got to meet up with Daddy for dinner at The Corner Bakery.
{Do you like to stuff grapes in your mouth sometimes? Julia does.}

After that, we took the kids to Barnes & Noble and told them they could pick out two books apiece. It was a special evening and kicked off the year with a bang!

6 comments:
How very sweet!
I feel like my babies are growing up too fast too. It's tough on us moms.
You just have the sweetest little family!
Will you adopt me? What a wonderful first day memory! I give Julia 1 month before she's running the classroom and 2 months before she reads EVERY book in the library!
Love ya TONS
1st grade...what a moment!
btw...how do you put 4 pictures in one space? Are you using Adobe or can you do it from blogger?
Hey Kelly! I use Picasa. Have you heard of it? It's fantastic! You can download it for free.
k, this sounds exactly like a day we would have. i think our families will get along great. for our kids, a trip to the bookstore is way better than the toy store, and fun for us, too. a win win!
Hey Lauren!! I was just blogstalkin from facebook!! I just wanted to say that Julia is so adorable!!! And she did a fantastic job yesterday in church. You have such a beautiful fam!! ~val g~
Post a Comment