Remember where you were when it happened? What you were doing? What you were thinking about? Remember how you felt when you saw the news? When you watched them play the footage...OVER and OVER and OVER again?
Do you remember what you thought about acts of terrorism happening...on our own soil?
I was getting ready for work that morning. I lived in Salt Lake City at the time. I was a supervisor for Starwood Preferred Guest hotels. We switched shifts. Each day of the week I had a different schedule. It just so happens that THAT particular day, I worked 9-5. I usually watched the "Today Show" or something while I got ready for work. But not on that day. I don't know why.
I got a phone call from Nate. He had heard something weird on the radio about there being a bomb, or something, in the World Trade Center. I remember saying something like, "Really? How awful! Was anyone hurt?" But, neither of us knew, at that point, exactly how awful it really was. Or exactly how many people were hurt, or dead.
I got to work and the mood was somber, the air was heavy with worry. I think everyone had a sick feeling. All the TVs were on and we all watched together as the news unfolded before our eyes.
It was an AIRPLANE that had crashed into the north tower of the World Trade Center! An actual passenger jet plane! Full of people. Children. Mothers. Fathers. Sisters. Brothers. Aunts. Uncles. Cousins. Grandparents. Friends. In the plane. In the building.
My thoughts fluttered all over the place:
What happened? Did the pilot black out? Why was he so close to the buildings in the first place? How could that happen?
Then, the unthinkable happened. Again. A second plane crashed into the south tower!
What? Someone is doing this on purpose. How? Why?
We all felt confused, worried...physically ill even, and found ourselves glued to the TV. The phone calls we had coming in even included people in New York who didn't know what to do because they had friends/relatives/friends who worked in that building. They called to cancel upcoming plans because their lives changed on that day. There weren't going to be any business trips, or vacations, or happiness...
I could not believe my eyes when one building collapsed, and then the other. Tears flooded my eyes and blurred my vision as I thought about the people inside. I wiped away the tears so I could once again see the horrible sight playing out on the TV screen. The employees who worked inside, along with the rescue workers who had come to their aid, were all, most likely, dead now. Surely they will find survivors. Surely they didn't all have to die.
Then, the Pentagon was hit.
Then, yet another plane crashed in a field, the terrorists plans thwarted by brave souls.
This type of thing doesn't happen in America! Not on our own soil! Not here.
Does it?
I was eight months pregnant at the time.
I kept thinking...What kind of world am I bringing my baby girl into? What is going to happen in the upcoming months? Years?
WAR?
Will more terrorists come? Will other cities be attacked? Are there more acts of terrorism planned?
I was glad she was, for the moment, safe, inside me. Because I still felt safe. I would keep her safe. Wouldn't I?
I know I shed many tears for the people who lost loved ones that day. I spent many a moment, trying to "walk in their shoes." I would think..."what if my family member had been on one of those airplanes? Or in one of the buildings, or visiting the Pentagon, or a firefighter in NY?" I just couldn't fathom the grief.
I know people lose loved ones all the time. I, myself have lost loved ones to illnesses like cancer, and even horrible accidents. But the way so many people died, all at once, because of someone else's cruelty, made us all think of it a bit differently. We all grieved together that day, because we all felt it. The tragedy of it. It was a terrorist act! Someone actually made the conscious decision, developed the conspiracy, and followed through with the plan to kill thousands of people. We, as a nation, felt that together.
It has been 7 years today since it happened. I hope we all won't forget. I know I haven't.
I think about it often. Especially today. I'm teaching my children about it. I'm hoping and praying it NEVER happens again.
What were you doing on
September 11th, 2001?
8 comments:
i blogged about my memories of that day as well. i think it's on all of our minds today. isn't it amazing 7 years later that we can still rememmber all the details? thank you for sharing yours:)!
One of my very favorite posts. Lauren, you are a talented writer. Thanks for sharing your memories. We will never forget 9/11. Emi
P.S. We were living in Chicago, and there was word that the Sears Tower was targeted. I hurried to ALDI (my favorite) and bought $150 dollars worth of bargain-basement priced food, which was over 2 carts full. Yep, I stockpiled as a preparation for potential disaster.
Where was I 9/11, with you. I remember that day very well and it was as you wrote. It is hard to believe it has been 7years! That day changed all of our lives forever.
My experience was similar to yours, Lauren, except I was working for Marriott. I didn't find out what happened until I got to work either. That was the only day working for Marriott where the phones were dead.
hey lauren, thanks for saying hi! this was a beautiful post, i remember the day so vividly, holding little audrey and trying hard to smile at her even though i was so sad. what a terrible day.
we should get together soon, we may have guests from houston in town for a bit, but after that, y'all should come over for dinner or bbq or something. we can talk pets. :)
Wow, can it be 7 years already? I will never forget I had just gotten up and I was doing some cleaning and getting Jordan breakfast he had just turned 1. Jeff called to tell me to turn on the t.v. We lived in AZ the towers had already been hit at that time. I remember being so sad and crying for several days. I remember the pride we all had for our country and that everywhere I went everyone had flags. On cars, on homes, businesses. What an awful thing to happen. I know we will always remember!
Hi, Hon! It's Mom!! I just wrote a long message on Dad's account, but when I tried to change to mine I think I lost it, so I will write again. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on 9/11. I will never forget that day as long as I live. I was at school in the main office when we heard something on the radio. We immediately went into the conference room and turned on the television. We watched as everything unfolded and cried as we saw it happen. My heart went out to all the many people that were killed and others left behind to mourn. I wanted to gather all my family around me and keep them safe. I must have cried for a week. It was decided that nothing would be mentioned to any of the students at school that day. I knew I would be very involved the next day with students being upset and crying. I feel so fortunate to live in America. When our country is in trouble we pull together. I'm so proud to be an American!!!
Lauren, thank you for being so good in keeping up with your blog. It is such a blessing to me to be able to see what is happening in all of your lives. You are such a sweet and caring daughter and a wonderful Mother. I'm thankful that Heavenly Father sent you to us. I love you all the numbers.
Mom
Post a Comment