Thursday, September 4, 2008

"That's 'Broken Bow,' (near Beaver's Bend)...NOT 'Broken Beaver.'" - Nate

We were lucky enough to enjoy one last "hoorah" for the summer. Our friends, the Andrews, invited us (along with another family...the Griffins) to go up to Broken Bow, OK with them, to help celebrate Jeff''s birthday (thank you!). We went up on a Friday (late) and stayed 'til Sunday (late morning). We had a delightful time!

There were many activities for tourists/campers/visitors to enjoy...including a train ride! We all LOVED that! The kids had the best time sitting together! They also offered horseback riding, but we only had so much time. The kids enjoyed watching the horses though! Especially Simon! He just loves animals (hmmm, where does he get that from?)!

Renting a canoe for a half-hour was one of my favorites. We had all three kids sitting in the middle while Nate and I paddled. Julia also helped paddle a bit (until she accidentally hit me in the head with the ore, then we told her to take a break for a while...but we did let her paddle again later and she did great!). Simon was so ready for a nap! He was not happy at first. But, then, like any other good La Leche League Mom would do, I put him in my lap so he could nurse and I continued to row. ;) Don't worry, it's safe to scroll down...I didn't include any pictures of that!
A real highlight of the canoe ride was seeing the turtles sunning on the logs. We got so close that they all jumped in the water for safety. We even saw a few swimming beneath the surface!

The cabin we were in had a pond right next to it! The kids had the best time catching minnows with Julia's net (of course she brought it!). The Dads also took all the big kids fishing. They had a great time! We Moms (and babies) stayed behind, visiting (with each other, and then the local Wal-Mart), while the little ones napped.

What's a night up at a cabin without a campfire and s'mores? We enjoyed making & eating s'mores with the kids. How do you like that picture of Nate with the fire? The wood was wet, so he used lighter fluid to help out a bit.

We had a wonderful meal that night. We'd picked up some fancy, organic, "gourmet" root beers for the guys while we were at Wal-Mart. I know that picture looks bad, but I promise, it's root beer!
One of my favorite moments was when, after we'd eaten s'mores, we all gathered around to watch Michael Phelps win his 8th gold medal! [side note: He is so amazing! I just can't even fathom the natural talent he has! I mean, to be so good, in so many events! Wow!]

The kids all tuckered out and the adults enjoyed the birthday brownies. Sheesh Jeff...there are enough candles there to light up a whole room! Happy birthday!


5 comments:

Melanie said...

what a fun trip for his birthday! looks like everyone had a blast!

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

SO FUN! I love that you nursed & rowed...on the way out here, I pumped and drove @ the same time...good to know I have another crazy friend!

Emily S. said...

oh my gosh, SO fun! I miss those days. Maybe next summer, when noah is 1.5 years old...

Fun fun fun photos!

Xela said...

It was a BLAST! Thanks for coming with us! You guys are such awesome friends!

ali said...

What fun! I'm so glad that you have such great friends in Texas!