Sunday, January 27, 2008

"Lime"

Lime the parakeet, beloved pet and member of our family for the past year, three months and 17 days, died suddenly January 26th of unknown causes. She was preceded in death by Lauren the fish, Cherry the tree frog, and Bunny Hopper the rabbit. She is survived by Howie, our Italian greyhound, Tiny Jim the beta fish, and her dear cage mate and friend, Blueberry. Her life was full of fun with the children, music, and happiness. Her sweet tweets, little kisses, and occasional squawks will be missed by all. Private services were performed yesterday with her family.



Yesterday, while I was showering, Nate and Julia came into the bathroom with some sad news. Julia was cradling Lime's little body in her hands and they told me she had died. What a tragic day it was for Julia, and the rest of the family! So sad! It breaks your heart as a parent when you see your child hurting so much. I wish they never had to feel that kind of pain or sadness. I know it's a valuable lesson in love and loss, but it just hurts my heart!

At one point when we were talking yesterday, I was hugging Julia and Liliana came up to us and said, "I'm sad about Lime. And I'm worried about Julia. Heavenly Father can help." I just thought that was so sweet and sincere.

Julia wrapped her in a paper towel and we placed her in a paper bag. We all gathered around and said something kind about Lime and her life. Julia said through tears and choked sobs, "She was always playful --this is too hard--she was playful and sweet." Liliana thought she was a nice bird. Then, we buried her next to Bunny Hopper, in the flower bed on the side of the house.

We'll all miss Lime. She really was a great pet! Julia's pain was eased with a trip to the local pet store. She said she'll always miss Lime and wished she could have her back. Nate said that in the car on the way to the pet store yesterday, she even said, "I miss Lime so much! I know I shouldn't say this, but I would give my life to get Lime back again." Nate, not wanting to discredit her feelings, said how he knew she was sad about Lime and he understood how she felt. Then he added that we were sure happy to have her here. Talk about breaking your heart! When he told me that, it made me cry!

At the pet store, after much deliberation, Julia chose a White's tree frog (a.k.a. a "dumpy" tree frog, or a "smiley" tree frog). The frog doesn't take the place of Lime in Julia's heart, but she sure does help to ease the pain. We think Lime is in heaven with Bunny Hopper (and the others) now, probably being taken care of by Steve Irwin himself!

6 comments:

Emi Edgley said...

This is so sad... however, your "obituary" was so well written!

I guess it strikes a chord for me, because of my little parakeets (Pickle and P.D. [named by my brothers and short for Paranoid Dalton] who died and escaped captivity, respectively. Pickle got lock-jaw and could no longer drink, although I tried to feed her with a dropper, and P.D. flew to the blue skies of heaven through my bedroom window. We were amazed Pickle could fly, because he spent his whole life under the paper at the bottom of his cage. A few weeks later, a friend (living about a mile away) remarked that he found a green parakeet in his tree, and that the bird hid in the corner of their cage, under the paper. We like to think it was P.D. and that he just needed a new home.

We hope Lime is happy in her new home.

I feel bad that Julia is always the one to discover her sweet pets have passed! There is no way to soften the blow!

P.S. I've got to know, how did you feel when Lauren the fish died?

Emi Edgley said...

Julia: I'm so sorry your parakeet died. I miss you! Love, Ella

Xela said...

So sad to hear about Lime. It is so hard for the kids to say good-bye to a pet. But she seems very excited about her new frog! It is so great that kids bounce back so fast. Loved Limes obit. It made me smile and laugh!:)

Amy Pennington said...

so sorry to hear your news! makes me miss my fav bird beaker...a cockatiel(sp)

Lori Ellsworth said...

Poor Julia! She looked so sad on Saturday.

Morgan and Joel said...

I must be preggos or something because reading this was like a roller coaster. I smiled, cried, laughed, and reminiced myself on little Lime, even though I never met the bird. Wow. So sorry to hear. What is the frog's name?