Monday, October 8, 2007

The Longhorn Triathlon, Austin, TX


The kiddos, all loaded up in the car, ready for our drive to Austin for Nate's first triathlon.

Not long after we got to the hotel, the kids played in the pool & hot tub while the women talked and the men went to their triathlon "first-timers" meeting.

We all met up for dinner Friday night at the Pappasito's near the hotel. We had fajita platters, with all the "fixin's." It was yummy & fun to be with all our friends! I think there were almost 50 people there total.

Just hangin' in the hotel room.


Nate - checking out his triathlon packet...complete with swim cap, shirt, & other goodies.

The men rode to the triathlon site together early the next morning, and the women caravanned not far behind them (after breakfast). We had to park at the Expo center and catch a shuttle to the site. Here we are, with all our kids, waiting for the shuttle (which was a school bus).

After his swim, Nate came in for a kiss for each of his girls.

Nate, just beginning the biking leg (he's in the gray shirt).

After we saw Daddy get on his bike, we went to see & pet the Longhorn cow. Look at those horns! It was the "Longhorn Triathlon" after all, of course they had the real deal there!

At the end of the bike.

Waiting for Daddy at the end of the run...cowbells ready!

Coming in at the end of his run for a finish.
Nate's wave started 45 minutes after the clock started. You can see that he came in with a time of 1:35. He beat his goal time by ten minutes!

Nothing like a nice, ice cold towel to douse yourself with after you've just finished a triathlon!

We're all so proud!

Some of his buddies who did it too.

Our little longhorns.

Super cute longhorns!

Liliana and Simon zonked out at the end.

It was an amazing morning. I'm just so proud of my Nate. I knew he'd do awesome! He's very pleased, overall, with how he did. He plans to do it again. I think we'll both do one together in March. I think it'd be great fun! Now, if we can just figure out a way for both of us to train for it!


I wanted to include a few more pictures in this post. We stayed afterward and experienced Austin a little. We wanted to stay around and see the famous bats (one of the largest urban populations). Good thing we had good friends to wait around & explore with!


Yeah, if you can see anything, they are the bats.

6 comments:

Amy Pennington said...

Such a fun trip...Doug would so ove to be involved in a triatholon! I love your pictures.

Emi Edgley said...

Congrats, Nate! You are buff and handsome. --Steve

Lauren, I think we should follow suite with an all-women triathlon this spring. Haven't we been talking about that for years? Maybe this would be a good year for such an endeavor.

Also, we would love to know the dates when you were in Austin and the distance of the tri. -- Emi

Lauren said...

It was a sprint tri (1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 3+ mile run). He did it this past Saturday (Oct 6th). A bunch of guys from church all entered it together. It was great!

Nathan said...

Hey Emi, Steve-
March 28th, in Galveston TX there is another one. 600yard swimming, 12 mile bike, 5k run (3.1 miles).

You wanna meet us there?

vickiticki said...

I LOVE YOUR PICTURES!!!

Thank you for doing this Lauren!!!

Carly said...

Nice job Nate! Yes--I think it should be te ladies turn next time! Lo Lo, good luck with your training you will do great! Can't wait to see pics ofthe ladies Tri next year! "Girl Power!"
xoxoxo
Love Ya