Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spring(?) Soccer

The Spring season of soccer started in February, and we are excited that we have, not one but, two players in our household! Lili has been thrilled to get to be on her very own team (the Fireflies, with orange jerseys) and play at her very own games (although she's not sure about all the running).

Their first few games of the season were quite windy and cold.
{this picture is from game day #2...yes, it was VERY cold!}
When Julia played her game, she wore the same hat and gloves. You can see we took this picture just before leaving for Lili's game (because she's wearing the hat and gloves, of course!)
Julia's hands got so cold in her first game, she didn't want to play any more without gloves. We didn't have any, but we did have socks! Lili and Simon were watching the game from inside the car, which was much warmer (thanks to the sun), so Lili didn't mind giving up her socks for a good cause.
Ahhh, that's a lot better!
{You probably noticed her lack of soccer shorts...oops on Mommy! I forgot she was supposed to wear her same uniform from the fall and sent her wearing only her warm "under clothes." Luckily, her coach had an extra jersey, but she had to play without shorts.}


She was rearing to go from the start of the season!


Lili's first soccer game...


Just yesterday, I had to miss Julia's game due to a conflict with a church primary activity. But, she was very proud to tell me all about it! "Mom, I scored three goals! And I think I showed good sportsmanship too." I, of course, told her how proud of her I was and asked her how she showed sportsmanship. She replied, "I would help people up when they got knocked down, even if they were on the other team." I tell ya, I'm a proud Mom! Way to go Julia!

Poor Lili had to miss yesterday's game! She had awakened in the night with a horrible earache. Urgent care confirmed she had an ear infection. Poor thing! They prescribed Augmentin (which, on a side note, made her throw up!) and she seems quite a bit better today, thankfully.

Anyway, I don't want to get too off topic. Both girls are enjoying their games and the fun that is soccer. I love being able to watch them progress and learn, not only the sport of soccer itself, but the teamwork, sportsmanship and dedication that goes along with it. Hooray for sports! And hooray for my little players!

1 comment:

Britt Wright said...

I can't believe both girls are in soccer...crazy! And they did such a great job too! =) I love the sock idea, and it seemed to me that Lili didn't mind sharing her sock at all. Quick thinking!