Sunday, January 25, 2009

"What a week I'm having!" - Walter Kornbluth, "Splash"

I'm taking my friend Melanie's lead on this one.

Sometimes a great quote says it all.

This line has been running through my head for days now. Why, you ask? Let me break it down for you...

UPDATE: I neglected to mention here, that we took Liliana to urgent care on Sunday night because her ear was hurting so badly. Turned out she had an ear infection and tonsillitis. How I could have forgotten to mention that, I don't know! Poor girl!

Tuesday evening, I think, "Hmm, my throat is starting to hurt. I hope I'm not coming down with a cold!" Wednesday morning when I wake up, it feels like I'm swallowing glass. ARGH! I take medicine and go about my day as normally as possible, but, I get worse. When I wake up Thursday morning feeling just as bad, I decide to go to the Doctor (because, at this point, I'm thinking strep throat is a strong possibility). Not to mention, "Dr. Mom" and
"Dr. Xela" told me that's what I have. Turns out, they were right. A fun little throat swab confirmed it. Meanwhile, Nate seemed a day or two behind me on the same symptoms. Oh no! Both of us sick at the same time! Not the best scenario. Especially when you have three young children.

And, not to mention, when you're sick, you don't feel like doing a whole lot. So, as you can imagine, laundry, dishes, messes, etc. were starting to really pile up at our house. That doesn't really help this sick girl's spirits!

Okay, so Friday morning (Nate is feeling terrible at this point), when Simon wakes up, I go upstairs to get him. Then, as I'm walking down the stairs holding him, my feet slipped out from under me, I slammed down on the steps and proceeded to slide down about seven more steps. Ouch! I set Simon down on the step, stood up, gathered my wits, then looked at Simon. He was crying, understandably. But, then I saw it wasn't just because he was scared. His nose looked like it suffered quite the bonk and scrape. I couldn't figure out why at first. He was holding a board book, "Was that why?" I didn't really know.
[I'm since convinced that he hit it on the stairs.]

I put ice on it and wondered if it was broken. I woke Nate up and we decided I should take him to the ER. My poor little guy!

I took him, Lili came with us. While we were there, in addition to the x-rays for his nose, I asked them to check his throat and ear for me too. His ear was (sorry, this is gross) seeping a mucous-y substance (which I noticed the previous night). And I wanted to rule out strep throat. Good news! He didn't have strep throat and his nose was not broken! Phew! But, he did have a pretty bad ear infection (which had ruptured his ear drum). We got our prescriptions and were on our merry way (about four hours later!). It would have most certainly been longer than that, but we put a call in to our friend (who happens to be the CFO) and, suddenly, we were being helped and taken EXCELLENT care of! Thank goodness!

Once we were home, he seemed back to himself (cheerful).
But, he didn't look like himself.
Julia even said, "Mom, Simon doesn't look right."

By the end of Saturday, he looked like this...
My poor little sweetie!


So, yes, it's been quite the week indeed.

Did I mention that I broke my Crock Pot lid last night?


10 comments:

Angi said...

Holy Cow! When it rains, it pours! I am so glad that you and Simon are okay.

Leslie said...

you need a vacation! so sorry about your week. call me if you need anything, please!

Melanie said...

Good heavens Lo!!! Break any mirrors lately?? You need a girl's night, I can feel it!! Hope this week goes by better:) Call if you need some help this week, for reals.

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

Man alive!! Lo, can you tell that we all want to get you out??? My poor little baby boy! So glad you guys were taken care of! These are the joys of having a boy!

It Just Fitz said...

OH, LAUREN!! I hope everyone at your house is up and around soon! (Isn't that 2 of Simon's nine lives he's used up in the last couple of months?) We sure missed you last Thursday night. It's just not the same withour your 'ear to ear' smile!! Love You!

Lori Ellsworth said...

Poor little Simey! I wish I could have been there to help you and your family! I hope you're all feeling better now. Miss you!

tralina said...

As if you can't already handle ten things at once--you get 47! Yikes. I hope you're feeling better by next week! Will says Hi too.

Morgan and Joel said...

OUCH!!!!! Poor lil' guy. That looks really sore.

Mary Victoria said...

When it rains...

;)

texaswilliams said...

Lauren!!!!!I saw Nate at CVostco on Thursday. It sounds like it just went down hill from there. Poor little Simon. Maybe it is poor little Lauren too!!