Early last month, Simon went into our office (where I was) and took a spill, knocking his forehead on the corner of the coffee table that was pushed up against the wall (at least that's what I think he hit it on...it's the only thing that makes sense). I turned around just in time to see him pushing himself up into a sitting position, and then I watched the blood start to flow from the cut on his head. I scooped him up, ran him in to the kitchen and began my "Dr. Mom" treatments. I could see that it was going to need more than Neosporin, a band-aid and some kisses to make this particular "owie" all better.
I called my pediatrician and I called Nate and I ended up taking him to the hospital, where he had to get six stitches!
He was a trooper (as was Lili, who was dragged along with us).
{FYI for anyone who might ever have to go through the same thing: tossing a large bag of various candies in to your purse to take to the hospital with when your child needs stitches is a stroke of genius.}
Simon didn't like being held down while they stitched him up. (Which, by the way, they have a very smart way of doing, involving a pillow case). but once he had a lollipop to suck and a was being held by me, he calmed down immediately. By the time we got home, he seemed to be pretty much himself (except for the new look he was sporting).
It's been a little over a month now and it already looks a lot better. Though, we did suffer a hit in the exact same spot just days after the stitches came out! It bled again and I wasn't sure if it had come all the way open again. After getting several "second" opinions, I used both a liquid bandage and a butterfly bandage and it healed up just fine.
It's starting to fade a bit. He, of course, is still as handsome as can be...now he just has that charming, "rugged" look. But, this mom is still using Mederma for kids anyway!
And, yes, that does make us three for three in the "children who needed stitches (on their faces)" group.
It's starting to fade a bit. He, of course, is still as handsome as can be...now he just has that charming, "rugged" look. But, this mom is still using Mederma for kids anyway!
And, yes, that does make us three for three in the "children who needed stitches (on their faces)" group.
5 comments:
He's so cute, even with a head injury! I have a brother with a scar in the exact same place. it's one of those childhood rites of passages or something!
How is it possible he looks cuter with his boo-boo?
What a trooper! I am afraid to say this, but it might be the 1st of many....lets hope not!
Aw, poor guy.
I remember what happened to Jules, but what happened to Lili?
Oh man, now your going to have to post about the nose....poor guy!
Post a Comment