Sunday, November 9, 2008

My birthday

I can hardly believe I'm 32. But, alas, it's true. I have to admit it...I think the 30s are great so far! I'm happy with where I am in life. I have a wonderful family, amazing friends and live in a wonderful place! Life is great!

My birthday (back on October 18th) was a memorable day!

It was great from the start! The girls decorated vases for me (Simon was asleep) and put flowers in them. They were presented to me on my tray (with my breakfast in bed). I got muffins from the Snooty Pig! Hey, they're even "low-fat." (It's hard to believe so I always have to quote that!) :)

{I am very brave for even including that just-woke-up picture of me...YIKES!}

For all the girls' birthdays this year, I thought it would be fun to go to Fossil Rim to enjoy celebrating together. We invited our neighbors (their kids rode with us 'til we got there), and hit the rode!

Once we got there, we separated into our own minivans, moved the car seats to the back & let the kids take over the back while we drove around, feeding animals and taking pictures. We all enjoyed the experience!

The ostrich was a bit intimidating, but we didn't let him get too close! All the animals are so used to being hand-fed by humans, that they come right up to the car, eagerly anticipating that handful of kibble.



I think everyone's favorite part was the giraffe. It was incredible to be able to pet and feed such a beautiful, graceful, LARGE animal.

There was a "petting zoo" in the middle of the park where we could get out and see more animals. The kids loved brushing the goats and talking to the birds. I even pet the emu!

On our way out we finally caught up with the zebra. What a beautiful animal!
I just loved the experience. Nate and I thought it a bit reminiscent of our safaris in South Africa (except those animals are wild, and do NOT come up to your car...but, you don't really want them too because that would be way too scary!). Anyway, it made us really want to go back and take our kids someday. Wouldn't that be incredible?

Once we left the park, we were going to stop by my cousin's hamburger joint ("Myrtle's Burger's") on our way back home, but it closed before we got there. So, we ended up eating at Pappa's Burgers, since we were already in the mood (and Pappasito's had an hour and a half wait). We had yummy burgers, enjoyed the company of our neighbors, and watched as our children melted down before our very eyes.

Another highlight? They brought me a birthday cake and sang to me too. I love that sort of thing. :)

It was a birthday I will always remember.



No, you don't get off that easily. I usually don't just celebrate my birthDAY. It's so much more fun when you stretch it out (don't you think?)! More to come on that!

15 comments:

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

Fossil Rim looked awesome! I bet the kids thought you were 'rock star' parents for taking them on such a grand adventure!

Lovin' the just woke up picture, but making me feel bad that you don't have raccoon eyes or red marks from sleeping on your pillowcase wrong...LOOKIN' GOOD!

Kelly said...

Congratulations on making it to 32. I knew you could do it.

Happy Birthday.

JM Inc. said...

Happy Birthday Lauren! What a gift to be so blessed and RECOGNIZE your blessings!

amanda said...

Happy belated Birthday! LOVE the picture of you in the morning- seriously cute.

Kristin said...

The bedhead hair is kinda reminiscent of our early 90's big hair...You can still rock it at 32! Happy birthday Lo, I love you!

Johnson Family said...

Happy belated bday! You know how to celebrate!

Mary Victoria said...

Can I look that good in the morning?!?! Your down-right beautiful Mrs. Lo :) Happy Late Birthday!

Mary Victoria said...

Can I look that good in the morning?!?! Your down-right beautiful Mrs. Lo :) Happy Late Birthday!

Mary Victoria said...

Can I look that good in the morning?!?! Your down-right beautiful Mrs. Lo :) Happy Late Birthday!

Mary Victoria said...

Can I look that good in the morning?!?! Your down-right beautiful Mrs. Lo :) Happy Late Birthday!

Mary Victoria said...

Um...sorry about the 5 posts!

Bad internet :)

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday Lo, if anyone can rock their 30's it's you. especially with that mid 90's rockstar hair you have goin on in the morning! (i love it!!) we just gotta get you out of that blasted foot boot! love you girl!

Britt Wright said...

Yeah! I'm glad you posted about your birthday celebrations! happy birthday to all. Fossil Rim looks awesome! I bet the girls loved it.

Mandy H said...

So cute, hope you had a fun day! Also hope your trip was fun, heard you are back now! :)

Xela said...

We really need to go to that place, it looks awesome! By the way LOVE the hair! 80's does stand out in my mind!