Friday, May 14, 2010

Mother's Day

When you're behind in scrapbooking, the best way to get back in to it, is to start with what's most recent, then try to go back and fill in on the past events. That's what I'm told, anyway. I tend to remember things like that. Maybe because I'm always behind.

This past Sunday was Mother's Day. Nate did a good job trying to make it a special day for me. The kids? We definitely had some tender, memorable moments, that's for sure, but...let's just say, at the end of the day, they asked if maybe they could have a "do over." ;) I'm prepared to leave it at that, but just so you don't die of curiosity, I'll just say that we seemed to have more drama than usual. Maybe there was just too much pressure for it to be a nice day. :)

Anyway, Nate made a yummy omelet breakfast, complete with juice and toast...

Then, we went off to church. Afterward, we returned home, where I got to take a nap (what a treat!). Nate and the kids straightened up a bit, and began preparations for our homemade pizza dinner.

Side note: I just HAVE to include this! This past weekend, I enlisted the kids' help and we cleaned out the car. We had a bag for garbage, and a bag for "not garbage" as well. After the cleaning of the car, I placed the "not garbage" bag in the house to be dealt with later (I'm really good at that "later" business). I didn't think much about it until I remembered it yesterday, but couldn't find it! I asked Nate about it and he said, "You mean the garbage bag? Oh, I threw it away." I anxiously replied, " WHAT? You threw it away? You didn't look in it first?" He said he just assumed it was garbage. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! We both laughed and laughed about it...even though, I freely admit, I'm still haunted by what might have been thrown away. I can't remember all the stuff that was in that bag. Except I'm almost 100% sure that Lili's other shoe was in there (as only one is in her closet)...and possibly my keys...and maybe some toys...and perhaps some books? AAAAHHHHHHH!

Back to Mother's Day...why did I go off on that tangent? Oh yes, because he threw the bag away on Mother's Day. ;)
He was cleaning up! Who could really be mad?

The pizza was such a great idea, because it was an experience to have, together. I loved that.
The kids were even on board! That's saying a lot, as they are not the most adventurous eaters (and Julia doesn't even like pizza).

Nate made the dough & shaped the pizza crusts...


We built them together...
First the sauce (which Nate also made)...
Then, the cheese & other toppings...
The girls were excited when their pizzas were done...
But then, reality set in...
Nate cooked them on the Big Green Egg. So, even Lili, who likes pizza, didn't like the smoky flavor.
Hey! At least they tried it!

Simon? He loved it! Well, he loved the pepperoni, anyway.
Our pizza was last to be cooked. It was yummy!
It had all our favorite toppings...

In keeping with tradition, the kids made me cards and gifts. I love their homemade treasures! Julia made me a mobile...
to share with Roman.


I am so thankful to be a mom. What a blessing! I can think of nothing greater. I love them with all my heart, might, mind, and strength!


I'm thankful, also, to have such a supportive, helpful, beautiful, giving, sharing, loving mother of my own.

And, I've been blessed to have...
a Mother-in-law who I truly cherish as another mother
grandmothers who I've loved and looked up to
sisters
aunts
cousins
friends
...as such amazing examples of motherhood.

Happy Mother's Day!

7 comments:

Maxmomma said...

Awesome Lauren! I love that Nate tried so hard on the pizza and they didn't really eat it in the end... we so know that road! Happy Mother's Day to you- you are an inspiring mother. Love you!

JM Inc. said...

This post is motherhood in a nutshell; lots of unexpected things happen, some not so great, but all in all it's sooo worth the ride! The kids and I just "cleaned" out the car, and we used the same methodology as you! Fortunately my bag of "not trash" is still in my laundry room waiting for the right moment(:

Sadie said...

So happy to hear your voice again Lauren! I am one to speak! lol! I had to give up on blogging... one mommy can only do so much! Maybe when I am done with school!

ali said...

Love you Lo! Thank you for being such a great Mom to my beautiful grandchildren and a wonderful spouse for Nate!

Nathan said...

IT WAS A TRASH BAG! ;|

You're the greatest!

tralina said...

Hey, can Nate come to my house? I could honestly put 1/2 of my house in a bag a and throw it away and I wouldn't know or miss it at all. Funny story!

Morgan and Joel said...

That sure looks like good pizza - maybe that's what we'll have for dinner tonight.

Happy belated Mom's Day!