Sunday, September 13, 2009

Introducing...


Our two newest family members!

No, your eyes do not deceive you. Those are rats! And, yes, they are now a part of our family. The girls could not be more thrilled.

This is "Blizzard."

And this is "Gracie."

Gracie is all gray.
Blizzard is white and gray. Julia thought her coat markings were like a blizzard (like a storm cloud up top, and snowy white below that, with a swirling "wind-like" design on her back).

This one is for all you "doubters" out there...

...you have to admit, that's a pretty cute face!


Why rats? Why now?

Julia has been petitioning for another pet for quite some time. We agreed that she could have another when she turns eight. She has been all over the map trying to decide what she wanted. From red-eyed tree frogs, lizards, and snakes, to puppies and rabbits, and her latest heart's desire...a ferret. She was 100% sold on that one. She loved the idea of a cuddly, mischievous, furry little pet to call her own. We talked quite a bit about how much work a ferret can be (daily litter box cleaning, weekly whole-cage cleaning, etc.). She was not deterred. Then, we started talking about rats and how they're similar in a lot of ways, but a bit easier. She wasn't sure at first, but started considering it.

Nate and I decided that maybe we should nurture that idea a bit and take her to the pet store to see/hold one. So, that's exactly what we did. Nate took the girls and I stayed home with sleeping Simon. She went, she saw, she fell in love...Nate acted on it!

So, Julia and Lili both came home with early birthday presents. They are so happy. My favorite lately is hearing them say things like, "You notice how nice we are since we got our pet rats?" or "It's hard to be grumpy when you have a pet rat."

Important to know:
When you have a rat for a pet, you need to make sure she is out of her cage for an hour a day. Uh, no problem in our house! I think it's harder to make sure ours get time in the cage!

11 comments:

Nathan said...

They are cute. And little. And only live a couple of years. I sure like them.

Beth Ann said...

I must say that Rats do make FANTASTIC pets! My nephew had one when I lived with my sister, and he was very nice to cuddle!! :)

amanda said...

I babysat some kids when I was a teenager that had a rat as a pet- and it was awesome.

Lori Ellsworth said...

I know they are great pets and all, but they are still rodents! So glad that you and other families love pets so my kids can enjoy them at your home. : )

Maxmomma said...

What cute girls you two have! I love your adventurous spirit too. I remember always wanting a pet and having it be put on "Let's think about it" status until it never occurred. Sad to say, my children have yet to get a pet from me too! Maybe when Max is eight...

Good luck with the rats- they are cute!

Heidi said...

I thought I was Momma Cool when I gave in to the chinchilla ... but YOU WIN!! They are cuter than I was expecting.

Morgan and Joel said...

Yeah, rodents totally give me the heebeegeebees.

Britt Wright said...

I'm sure your girls love those rats! They seem so pleased with themselves. You definitely have a fun household!

Morgan and Joel said...

You should only buy pets you can eat. Think about it, you get something in return for all your time and money and then when they're not cute and you're tired of them you kill them. Mmmmm looking forward to BACON! -Joel

Katy said...

Wow, you guys are totally fun parents! We are so boring over here. My kids have fish :) Your girls look thrilled.. and as much as i hate to admit it.. it is a pretty cute face.

Kara said...

LOVE THEM. They are so cute and I love the names. The girls did good and so did Mom and Dad. But just so I have this right, that now makes 6 pets in the house? 3 more than I remember a certain person saying they would allow? :)